TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Section 8 and the LL

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Section 8 and the LL

Postby furious » Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:06 pm

Recently I received a letter from my Senator regarding the restoration of my section 8 housing. I live in a private 2family and received an informal notice of eviction 2 weeks after a rent increase notice. Section 8 said the LL cannot increase my rent unless they show proof of repairs and that I can't be evicted until the LL files a claim in court. In any event what do I do about rent for the month fo March, do I pay the same rent I've been paying or the increase and do I have to move by April. My LL had failed section 8 housing inspection in Nov 2001. Recently I was at the office for section 8 and was told I would be treated as a special case and filled out papers for an emergency transfer. I had previously had section 8 and lost it due to the fact that I had a good job at the time, yet after section 8 had removed me from the program, I had since lost that job so I was without a lease for almost a year, now I'm getting it back, but I'm not sure how that affects this current situation. Anything someone might now would be a great deal of help while I am waiting for legal aid to contact me. Thanks in advance.
furious

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments