TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Roommate is going back on signed agreement

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Roommate is going back on signed agreement

Postby nycgirl25 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:19 pm

My roommate is moving and I've agreed to break the lease. Our LL says we're responsible for the rent until a new tenant is found and that we need to send a signed letter of when we're willing to move out of the apt so my LL can start showing our place. In the letter, we said 2/1 would be the earliest move in for a new tenant. Now my roommie is claiming she can't move until the end of 2/28/02. If I find someone to take the place for sometime in Feb. can I force her to move out?
Please advise....
nycgirl25

Re: Roommate is going back on signed agreement

Postby Chimera » Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:40 pm

I am reasonably certain that you cannot force her to move out before the end of the lease. Why would you even want to? Just tell prospective tenants that the move in date is 3/1.
Chimera

Postby Chimera » Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:42 am

If she went to court, wouldn't that take even longer than if she just waited for her roommate to move out 2/28 instead of 2/1?
Chimera

Postby consigliere » Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:52 pm

nycgirl25 wrote:

My roommate is moving and I've agreed to break the lease. Our LL says we're responsible for the rent until a new tenant is found and that we need to send a signed letter of when we're willing to move out of the apt so my LL can start showing our place.

Is this person a co-tenant or a roommate? Did you both sign the lease with the landlord? Do you want to remain in the apartment, with someone else sharing the rent?

Why would the landlord be getting involved? Why would you let the landlord choose the new co-tenant?

Under the roommate law, once the co-tenant moves out, you can have the roommate of your choice move in, subject to the landlord's approval, which cannot unreasonably be withheld.

consigliere

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments