TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

crappy conditions issues

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

crappy conditions issues

Postby ykarj » Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:55 pm

Hey all,

I have a few problems with the apartment I moved into. It is a brand new building, but only after I moved in I found out that ther is no phone or cable framework. Also, the heating unit stopped working about 3 weeks ago and as of now was still not fixed, although after 2 weeks of complaining, I did get a portable heater (which is probably blowing up my coned bills since it works 24x7).

my question is what can I do in order to not pay the full rent for this month? It is clear that I have not been living in the conditions I thought I would be living in when I signed the lease..

TIA
ykarj

Re: crappy conditions issues

Postby mjr203 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:06 pm

damn, if you've been w/o heat for that long you should call the Heat hotline immediately -- NYC Central Complaint Bureau's Hot Line (212) 824-4328.

http://www.housingnyc.com/resources/faq/quality.html#dreading

this is a FAQ on the housingnyc website. no heat is a serious LL violation.

if your apt is not stabilized it is much harder to get an abatement than in stabilized. right now I'd concentrate on getting heat back.
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby ykarj » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:07 pm

The thing is I now have a temporary solution, and although it would probably cost me a lot, it does the work.
ykarj

Postby mjr203 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:09 pm

Originally posted by yk:
The thing is I now have a temporary solution, and although it would probably cost me a lot, it does the work.
you are being hosed. you are entitled to heat as a part of your rent and you are not getting it.

I don't understand your reluctance to take action. At the very least with your LL you should propose that you reduce your rent by the amount of $ that the heater you obtained is costing you. The cost of heat is included in your rent and you are not receiving heat.

<small>[ January 29, 2003, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: pointerout ]</small>
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby ykarj » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:16 pm

I don't understand your reluctance to take action. At the very least with your LL you should propose that you reduce your rent by the amount of $ that the heater you obtained is costing you. The cost of heat is included in your rent and you are not receiving heat.
That is not quite true, since the heating unit in the apartment is one that works on electricity and gas. and I pay both. I know it doesn't change the fact that I need to ask for a reduced rent, I just wanted to know if there is a legal groud for my request, or if it depends on how nice the LL is..
ykarj

Postby Cranky Tenant » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:53 pm

Years ago when we spent a week without heat and water at tis time of the year, we deducted half of our rent. The LL didn't like it and claimed he would only give us one week's credit to reflect the week we went without services.

He continued to carry the balance on our account for some time but eventually dropped it.

Beyond that, the LL isn't responsible for providing telephone or cable hook-up. If the building isn't already wired, most likely Verison and the cable company will just run lines up the side of the building, and charge you any installation fees.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby mjr203 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:53 pm

I can see you're reasoning somewhat re the heater... but I'll bet the gas/electric heater that is there is more cost efficient/efficient/safer than a space heater. LL should surely still be responsible for repair of the existing heating facility whether or not he is responsible for the cost of the heat itself.

re: cable/phone, see Cranky's post.

-POINTER
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments