TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Received 60 Day Termination Notice

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Received 60 Day Termination Notice

Postby davenyc » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:55 pm

Hi,

I am currently renting a legal 3 bedroom apartment. We have a written agreement with the LL that he has to give us a 60 day notice if he wants us to vacate the premises.

We've had many problems over the last few years and recently these problems have spiraled. A very recent example...we went on vacation for 5 days and my sister in-law watched my 9 month old son while we were gone.

As soon as the LL noticed we were gone, he shut the hot and cold water in our apt. My son couldn't get a bath etc. We called the LL the next day and he said that he only rented out the apt to us and we had no right to have anybody else in the apt while we were gone.

I specifically added "my son" to our contract since I know what type of a person the LL is. Legally my son can not be alone in our apt without an adult watching him.

I warned the LL that if he ever shut anything in our apt, I'd withhold rent from him and take him to court.

He's shut our electric in the past, entered our apt without permission etc etc etc etc.

So now he notified us that he wants us out in 60 days.

1) We highly doubt we'll be able to find a suitable apt in 60 days.

2) He's given us massive headaches over the last few years and we feel now it's our turn for revenge.

What do you suggest ?

How long can I be in the apt. after the 60 days ?
davenyc

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments