TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

End of lease/ Security deposit/ Super changed the lock o

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

End of lease/ Security deposit/ Super changed the lock o

Postby Angela » Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:43 am

Hello and thanks in advance to everybody who will reply.

I have been a tenant for 4 years in coop building. Apartment is owned by management. My lease expires on September 30, 2002.
In mid July I sent a letter to management informing them that I am not going to renew my lease and would like to use my 2 security
deposit as last 2 month rent payments. They never replied. Beginning of August I've got a letter from management telling me that
I did not pay rent for August. As soon as I received the letter I call to management and again explain that I would like them to use
my security deposit. I talked to person who was given me as a contact person in building management, she said if you want us to
use your security deposit - fine, but I can not stop the letter about your missed rent payment, just disregard them at all. This is what
I did. In the beginning of September I moved out, but I still have some staff left in the partment, because I knew my lease due
September 30. We come to the old apartment every other day to collect mail and pick some more thing to bring to our new place.
1 week ago my husband came to the apartment and could not open the door, the lock did not work - the super changed the lock.
Yesterday I called super and he transfered me to the building manager (very rude guy) who told me that they smelled gas and thought
that it was coming from my apartment, so they had to force the door to open and then change the lock. I said - fine, then give me the new
key. He told me - "NO", because you did not pay rent for 2 month we can not let you in. If you want to collect whatever left in the
apartment you have to come Monday-Friday 9am-5pm and super will supervise you into the apartment. Also he told me there are so
many damage in the apartment, I am going to sue you for every scratch and door knob. I explained him about my conversation with the lady
from management, and that she told me that we can use security deposit, he told me that she was not authorise to tell you this.

I thought that the day before my lease expires I will come to apartment, clean it, and I wanted to make pictures of every room, so I have proof
how the apartment looks when I leave it. But now I can not do this. And they have access to the apartment and can do there whatever
they want.

Please advise me what you think about the situation. I am not worried about the staff left (actually nothing valuable), but about damage that
they can make and tell me it is mine and I have to pay. How I will proof anything later???

Thanks a lot, I know I wrote a lot, but it is hard explain the whole sictuation in few words.

Angela.
Angela

Re: End of lease/ Security deposit/ Super changed the lock o

Postby mjr203 » Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:13 am

at this point you have a verbal agreement with them about using the security deposit as LMR?

btw this sounds like an illegal lockout to me. even if you technically haven't paid those last months rent because you want them to use your security deposit -- your lease hasn't expired yet. The apartment is yours. You might want to call the cops. They have to go to court to EVICT you which is basically what they have done by changing the locks. (consigliere? tenantnet?)

As far as the apt condition goes. Thoroughly photograph all parts of the apt especially that you think the LL company could claim as damage.. try to do it in front of them or get a walkthrough.

As far as "every scratch on a doorknob" that guy is full of shit. They can only get damages beyond "NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR" which does not include nail holes in the walls, dirty carpet, marks on the walls, or anything that's normal for an apartment you've resided in for 4 years.

GOOD LUCK

-POINTER
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby mjr203 » Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:15 am

Basically you will force them to Small Claims to get any $ back for "damages" which will probably not be worth their time... sounds like they are shady anyhow.

Any management company in the business of threats is not doing its job properly.
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby Angela » Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:46 am

Thanks to everyone who replied, I really appreciated any feedback.

Angela.
Angela

Postby mjr203 » Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:10 am

Originally posted by me again:
just to make the inconvenience to the manager just a little bit more annoying.
FIERCE!
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby mjr203 » Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:46 pm

Originally posted by joey:
pointerout sounds like any landlord's nightmare (whether the ll is decent or not). Makes all of us tenants look bad.
I'm surprised tenantnet administrators let his kind of language go by.
Why don't you complain to the administrators then.

What part of my advice to the author of this thread do you have a problem with? Did she not deserve my attempt to give her cogent, incisive advice on dealing with her LL/Super?

you really need to reevaluate your priorities and your motives.
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments