TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

advice for a smooth transition?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

advice for a smooth transition?

Postby oalex » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:55 pm

hi, you may remember my nightmare roomate situation? having tried everything (EVERYTHING) to get me out, my roomates are finally leaving.

-what are the things to look out for with regard to my LL making a rider/addendum to my lease to subtract them from the lease, and add my new roomate?

-our lease now states a specific rent increase for the remaining 2 years, can she change that?

-will her giving them the sec. deposit back in full leave me having to paint, etc. when i leave?
(the kitchen was painted blue before i moved in)

The LL is understandably pissed at the situation, and has even threatened to make me leave if they do not go quietly. they are not going quietly and have called her repeatedly.

-do i have to let them do anything they want, i.e. uninstall shelves built into the wall of my room, that pre-date my moving in, hugely inconveniencing me,as well as jeopardizing my property, etc. lest the LL get angry?

I realise i have no rights as far as LL is concerned, she can basically terminate my lease for something else, and get me out.
-is it that easy? the leaving roomates have nothing to lose, so they will try to make her so angry that she will do just that.

thanks so much for all your help. it helps so much just to get impartial advice.
oalex

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments