TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Notice of Termination

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Notice of Termination

Postby dknite69 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:16 pm

I live, according to the OC and my LL, in a two-family house in an illegal apartment in the attic.

I recently received a "notice of termination" from my LL and would like to know what should be my next step? I do plan to move but the illegality of the matter is mind-boggling. The notice states and I quote, "unless you remove from said premises on November 30, 2002 the day on which your term expires, the LL will commence legal proceedings under the statue to remove you from said premises for the holding over after the expiration of your term and will demand the value of your use and occupancey of the premises during such holding over." Then they proceed to list the fact that the apartment is illegal by being a two-family house. These people have no concept of the law and how it works. Let's just say ignorant. "It's my house and I can do what I want."

You also have to understand that this notice is only designed to remove me and me only. I have two roommates. (The LL built a wall dividing the living room last year.)

I may or may not have the money to move by then but that is not the issue. I have been harassed and assaulted by these people just since August, when the husband tried to push me down a flight of stairs because I bought an air conditioner. I would like to have my day in court. Would it be prudent to allow the 'court proceedings' to occur? And what is "hold over'? :confused:
dknite69

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments