TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord said he wanted to sell

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord said he wanted to sell

Postby sharonlreed2000 » Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:13 am

My ll made all tenants aware that he was interested in selling his 6 family apartment building. He said it would be wise to start looking. I in turn decieded to live out my security because I felt if he sold the building that my deposit would not be returned. I fixed a lot of things in my apartment to bring it up to my stardards thus improving on its value for the next tenent(apartment was not in good condition and needed repair)Since the rent was a bargin I took on this task.Its been 7 years. I didnt pay rent last month and lived out the security(500)My rent is 560.00 now.My landlord saids that he is not going to sell and will give me a new lease.BUT I owe him 60.00 dollars because I lived out 500.00 when rent was actually 560.00.
sharonlreed2000

Re: Landlord said he wanted to sell

Postby consigliere » Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:05 pm

Why wouldn't the apartments in a six-unit building be regulated? You should check with DHCR.

In rent stabilized apartments, the landlord is allowed to raise the security deposit to equal the current rent. Most landlords of unregulated apartments raise the security deposit as the rent rises.  

Why don't you think you owe the landlord that $60? If your most recent rent was $560 and your security deposit was only $500, then you owe the landlord $60.

consigliere

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments