TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Huge renovations w/o permission, rent increase

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Huge renovations w/o permission, rent increase

Postby jhenkin » Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:53 pm

I've lived in a brownstone w/4 units...only 1 residential - mine. The LL w/o explanation began renovating the floor below (ok) then my apartment, and now is building on the roof. He has let me know that my small 1 bedroom is being converted into a large 2 bedroom, with an internal stairway connecting them - and large terrace. My clothes possessions electronics have all been dirtied and "compromised" by dust. 2 stereo components now don't work.

My year lease is expired, and I'm notified that my rent will approximately double when the renovations are done.

Other issues of value are that my curtains/rods that I paid for no longer fit. I have been living in a construction zone. Hot water is continually interrupted. Several leaks have occurred wetting clothing, bedding, my mattress. I have everything documented with photos.

Do I have any recourse?
jhenkin

Re: Huge renovations w/o permission, rent increase

Postby ChrisG » Sat Oct 05, 2002 12:56 am

when a landlord makes such renovations, he is supposed to offer his tenants alternate living quarters. the idea of continuing to live in a one-bedroom while it is converted into a duplex sounds intolerable. the least he could have done is move you into one of the other units while yours was being renovated. but without a written lease, if you ask him to relocate you until the renovations are done, he'll probably just give you 30 days notice to leave. are you planning on staying when your rent doubles?
ChrisG

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments