TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Illegal sublet and eviction

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Illegal sublet and eviction

Postby r_mittal » Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:09 am

I used to live in a co-op building as a tenant for 5 years. Just on 8/2, I moved to a different apartment in the same building after signing the lease with the new landlord. At that time, landlord didn't get the board approval. Soon he got the letter from a building mgmt lawyer that he illegally sublet the apartment and the apartment should be vacated within 30 days of the notice otherwise eviction procedure will be started.

Now realising my mistake, I am reaady to vacate the apartment but the landlord is forcing me to vacate the apartment by 8/30 otherwise asking me to bear legal charges thrown upon him by mgmt.

Can someone throw some light on my rights and responsiblities as well as consequences.

any help is highly appreciated. Thanks
-Raj
r_mittal

Re: Illegal sublet and eviction

Postby r_mittal » Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:22 am

I just want to add that this is not rent stablised building and I didn't get any notice from lawyer or my landlord. I also didn't have any copy of lease aggrement with the landlord but I have cancelled checks of security deposit and Aug rent.

I also ready to vacate the apt by 8/30 but it's impossible to take all the possesions by that time. Can I just moved out from the apt and later remove my stuff. My landlord is kind-of agreeing on this plan.

Thanks
-Raj :o
r_mittal

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments