TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

End of lease/Super changed the locks - PART III cont.

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

End of lease/Super changed the locks - PART III cont.

Postby Angela » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:07 am

I just wanted to post my case development.

I went to court and file my answer. They gave me the copy of the claim. LL claims I did not pay for the last 2 month (security deposit used) plus $500 legal fees. The printed date on the Petition is 09/25/2002, but court stamp is October 2, 2002 3:06pm. So it means the court accepted the petition after my lease expired and keys were given back. I consulted an attorney and he told, that they filed their claim to the wrong court. If they think I owe money they have to go to the small claim court and not to the housing court asking to evict me. To add to the plate my last name is misspelled (one letter is missing at the end of the name). They assign the court for next wed October 30, 2002. I wrote on the answer form about illegal eviction and my call to the police. But I do not have any report from the police. Do you think it is possible to get the report now? I think it should be recorded somewhere that there was a call to 911 and police came and resolve the matter? Should I call to the precinct?? I think I better have the report as part of my evidence when I go to court . I understood the whole thing they have on their mind. They want to make me pay for 2 month, then I will ask for my 2 month security deposit and there they will claim that they spend it to repair damages. I do not know how I get into this mess. If they told me right away when I call to the management "NO, you can not use your security deposit!!" I would pay my rent, but they agreed and now sue me.

I think I am too upset on the whole matter. But anyway thanks for listening and advice!

Angela.
Angela

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments