TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Difficult/Frightening Landlord

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Difficult/Frightening Landlord

Postby bklynrenter75 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:58 pm

Hi guys,

Here's my situation. I moved into an apartment in the Greenpoint/Wburg area about five months ago. Since then, whenever I have interacted with my landlady, she has been kind of rude, but not to the point where I was extremely concerned about it. But recently, I got an extremely angry phone call from her a few weeks ago saying that the (perceived) noise going on in my apartment after midnight had to stop. Unfortunately, she lives directly next door to me in a building with extremely thin walls, and noise travels really easily in this building- I can hear the front door slamming, and I am on the fourth floor.

Here's the thing- I am extremely quiet, I've never had any complaints anywhere I've lived before. I have rugs down in most of the apartment, take my shoes off whenever I get inside, and have never thrown a party. I was really shocked and blown away by her anger and just frightened by how disproportionate it seemed.

When I called her today to tell her I hoped we could resolve this and we could both feel comfortable in our apartments, she immediately launched into a tirade against me. She said that she hears me "walking back and forth all night" which I definitely do not do. If anything, I have been woken up by the very loud, clanging radiator in my bedroom, and gotten up to use the bathroom or get a glass of water. When I calmly told her that perhaps she was hearing someone else in the building, she insisted that it was me. I asked if the people below me or on the other side of me had ever complained and she said, "Maybe that's something I need to look into," which makes me think that no one has complained, and certainly no one has ever said anything to me directly. I then told her that I hear her very easily through the walls, and I hear her whenever I happen to be up at night. She insisted that there was no way I could be hearing her, but of course, I do, and people who have been over have been startled by how loud just her walking in the other room is, to which I have always just explained, "the walls are paper-thin." Yet she insists that there is no way I can hear her but she can hear me.

She said I am "very heavy-footed," when I am actually a small person and no one has ever said they could hear me before. She also said that I was out of line to call her when my toilet wasn't working (this was three months ago), even though she is the super/LL and everyone I have spoken to has said this is her responsibility. If I'm renting and forced to deal with her rudeness, I shouldn't have the same responsibilities to maintain my apartment that an owner has, right? She went on to say that if she'd had to call a plumber, it would have been x amount of money that I would have had to pay. When I tried to respond to her and have her see my side in as nice a way as possible, she kept saying that I was being argumentative. Then she cut me off at one point and said, "I don't like your attitude or tone, if you have a problem, move out." Well, I have a year lease and spent a lot of money on a broker's fee (and of course I would never recommend this broker to anyone) and a deposit. She also said, "I'm not renewing your lease, that's it." Well, she's deluding herself if she thinks I want to renew this lease! But the scary thing is, I wasn't calling to complain, I was only addressing the complaint she had with me! I was being diplomatic and extremely civil throughout the entire conversation, even though she was being so rude. She ended our conversation with, "I don't have the luxury to be on the phone all day, I need to go." It was just bizzare.

Basically, I'm extremely nervous now that she's going to do something. It's a small apartment building, and I am unlucky enough to be the only directly sharing a wall with her. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice?
bklynrenter75

Postby philiptries » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:04 am

Well, you've already decided that you're not interested in staying after your lease ends, so there is no need to try to be her best friend. Live your life. If her building has thin walls it's not your fault. How can you respond to the absurdity of her complaining that when you walk at night it bothers her? The law of gravity isn't suspended with the setting of the sun. If only you could float around your apartment at night all would be well.

Yes, she is responsible for the upkeep of the plumbing. You don't have to pay if your toilet isn't working. If she ever sends a bill, send it right back to her...or ignore it. Be prepared for her to try to keep your security deposit. I can smell that one coming. Be sure to demand the interest earned on the deposit.
philiptries

Ugly LL

Postby Emeraldstar » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:02 pm

Hi All
I'll add a few tips since your dealing with a shrew, make sure you notify her of your intent not to renew at whatever time is customary maybe 1-2 months before lease is up, you anticpate a full return of your deposit and she should arrange an inspection of the apt, and send it in writing RRR do not trust her by mearly verbalizing. Make sure the apt is clean as well as the fridge& cabinets. Video tape the apt, fridge,and cabinets. (Dated pics will do) When you submitt your keys make sure you have a witness. Pic or tape then would be good too. She'll probably bust a gut at that point but hey, she's on a roll anyway. All of the above is to ensure she has no reason to keep your deposit and if she does, you have something to help in small claims. For the meantime live life to the fullest! :wink:
Emeraldstar

Postby bklynrenter75 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:17 pm

Hello,

Thank you so much for your responses! I know it was a long post- I really appreciate you slogging through it and giving me thoughtful advice.

It's true, I am not concerned about renewing my lease anyway- the thin walls and the noise in the building have been an issue for me, and I wasn't that comfortable there even before I had this last interaction with the LL. I was also thinking the same thing about the security deposit. As for the repairs, I thought it must be her responsibility, and all of my friends agreed, but she just sounded so sure that it wasn't that I wanted some confirmation from someone else on it.

The thing is, it's really making me nervous that she's such an angry person and really seems to hate me and she has my keys. I just don't trust that she's a stable person in any way. What I didn't mention before is that she tried to come into my apartment a few months ago, and while she did call to let me know she was coming in, what disturbed me is that she said she was coming in because she smelled smoke, but I certainly didn't smell anything (I was asleep when she called, and since she seems to hear everything, you'd think she would know that there was no one awake and doing anything in my apartment.) There was construction going on in another apartment in the building, so you'd think that if she smelled anything she would realize to check there first. It was on another floor, and you could smell sawdust walking past it. When I called her back after getting this message, she yelled at me that she couldn't get into the apartment. I came to the door and showed her that the lock was just kind of sticking and you just had to turn the key a certain way. But from her anger, it sounded as though she was being paranoid and thinking I had changed the locks! Let me just say, anyone who knows me, or has met me or seen the cute way my apartment is decorated, etc, knows I'm not exactly going to be running a meth lab in there! She just seemed so irrationally upset that it made me question whether she was a reasonable person. After she did open it with her key, she complained to me that I should have told her that the lock sticks, and I apologized and said I hadn't thought it was a big problem because it was still working and I hadn't wanted to bother her about it. Then she said, "You should have told me. A little thing can become a big thing."

Okay, fair enough. I realize she likes to keep a close eye on things. So about a month ago, an alarm somewhere in the building was chirping all day, not going off but just indicating that the batteries were dying. I called her after it had already been going off the night before and was still going by the next evening, and she was extremely rude to me on the phone. As annoying as the sound was, I wasn't calling to complain (I have a noise machine that drowned it out), but just to let her know so that she didn't think it was an alarm in my apartment.

Well, she brought this up when I spoke to her two days ago also. She said that she was very annoyed that I called and I was "implying that [she] wasn't doing her job." When I said that it wasn't my intention to insult her (this is during her half hour tirade against me with me just being polite and trying to placate her), she said "I wasn't insulted, I was aggravated. I do a really good job, and you're implying that I don't know what's going on in my building." She also kept saying, "I know it wasn't in your apartment. A sane person would change the batteries if they heard the alarm beeping all day." Umm... just what? How would she know I was home to hear it, etc, etc?

I don't know- I just no longer feel comfortable in my apartment, because she is literally five inches away, has my keys, and seems to have it in for me! I just feel like there is nothing I can do or say to calm her down or get her to act in any kind of professional manner.

I hope that now I'm being the paranoid one, but I'm getting kind of scared. I have read a lot of posts about other people's bad experiences on this site, and I know a lot of people have suggested a hidden camera.

I know you are both totally right that I need to just live my life and try to ignore her, but it does worry me. I also wonder if I have been too nice in the past, so there is a part of me that wants to assert myself more the next time I have to deal with her, but I'm also scared that it will just make her even more angry. Other people I have talked to have mixed advice about this- some say, tell her you know your rights, others say this will just make her more mad and I need to keep being as nice as possible.

Oy! Sorry this is so ridiculously long, and thanks to anyone with the patience to read it!
bklynrenter75

Rude LL

Postby Emeraldstar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:40 pm

Hi All
Just my take, some people who are in deficite of values/morals ie: sneaky have a tendenacy to project thier issues onto others. Stay strong. You don't have to argue with her just avoid her unless it's needed for an emergency. Ensure any personal items or documents that are important to you are locked in a safe or locked file cabinet. If your worried she comes in when your not there you could put in the apt a nany cam aimed at your door to show her entry. You can even install it to be viewed from outside your home. Call the police & report her for tresspassing. That should cool her jets. :shock: It may justify a cyclinder change. Hope you find a peaceful place Good Luck :wink:
Emeraldstar

Postby philiptries » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:52 am

You're worrying about a lot of things that really shouldn't be a concern to you. You don't even have to talk to her. Don't take her calls. Tell her if she wants to communicate with you to do it in writing. If you do continue to speak with her on the phone, get a recorder and record every conversation with her. This can come in handy later if she loses her mind and does anything that is actionable. NY is a one-party state. You don't have to tell her that you are recording the calls, but I would stop talking to her altogether unless it is an emergency situation.

You might want to be sure you always have a copy of your lease with you. Just make a copy, fold it up and keep it in your purse, backpack or whatever--or keep a copy at your workplace. If you ever come home to find that the locks have been changed, having a copy of the lease will speed things along to get you back into the apartment--it'll make things easier for the police or a locksmith. A current utility bill would be a good thing to keep on your person too. I know it sounds a bit alarmist but better safe than sorry.
philiptries

Documents

Postby Emeraldstar » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:23 pm

Hi All
Good advice philiptries, I agree. That's what I mean about the dramas projectors inflict Oy! :roll:
Emeraldstar

Postby bklynrenter75 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:35 pm

Thanks for the good advice, guys. I guess my attitude about this is going to be "better safe than sorry" and I'm going to take all the precautions I can. Come to think of it, that is my usual attitude, but I somehow made a very big mistake in taking this apartment! I guess this is what looking for a place in NY will do to you sometimes- I did have my misgivings about her when I first looked at the place and she complained that the last tenant was too loud (definitely not a good sign!) but I compromised my instincts on it because I liked the place otherwise and had been looking for so long!

This is definitely a very good resource- thanks for hearing me out and for the considerate advice!
bklynrenter75

Postby impunchdrunk » Sat May 24, 2008 9:27 am

I can see that you're not a confrontational person. There is no way in HELL that I would put up with someone treating and speaking to me that way when I'm paying my rent to them. You're not making noise and you're not damaging the apartment so maybe she needs a good old fashioned 'cussing out' from you to let her know that she can't push you around. The next time she calls you on the phone, be just as surly as she is. If she accuses you of something that you KNOW you aren't doing, tell her that YOU don't have time to argue with her and SLAM the phone down in her ear. I can bet that her attitude will change towards you after a few encounters like that. No one has to put up with that kind of treatment.
impunchdrunk

Postby nabiscosboy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:09 pm

Sounds similar to my LL. I've already been threatened with the "keep this up and we won't renew your lease" and that's for calling 311 on them.

The bastards do it because they can get away with it.

I'm pretty confrontational person but the thought of being homeless/apt hunting again ticks me off enough that I keep my mouth shut. But some stuff just can't/shouldn't fly.
nabiscosboy

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments