TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord Selling Building/Tenant 2 Months to Move Out

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord Selling Building/Tenant 2 Months to Move Out

Postby ivorytgrlilly » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:26 pm

Help! My boyfriend and I have found ourselves in a confusing situation and need to know where to turn to get a better understanding of our legal rights.

I've been living in an apartment in Park Slope for 5+ years. My landlord, who lives in the building, is selling the building. (3 units total). Originally, he told us that we would have 6 months AFTER the building was sold to move out. Now, the buyers and broker are in negotiations to buy the building and may want us out within 2 months (and over the holidays!). Originally, I was on a 1 year lease. However, when my lease ran out - I've been paying month-to-month via check for several years. (I've been in the aptmt for 5+ years, my boyfriend has been living with me for 2+ years but is not on the lease.)

My landlord likes us as tenants and I really need him as a good reference. However, he has changed his verbal agreement with us and now we may have to find a new place over the holidays and in this turbulent economy.

Do I have any leverage or rights? (Please say yes.)

Thank you.
ivorytgrlilly

Postby TenantNet » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:39 pm

You are not rent regulated and you don't have a lease. Look at the section on month-to-month tenant in the Reference section. They are required to give you 30 days notice (in writing obviously).

If they haven't done it in writing, why remind them of that? You don't want the clock to start ticking yet. But also consider it might work both ways as at that time they might give you only 1 month instead of 2 months.

You can also negotiate. They would need to take you to court to get you out. Some tenants negotiate (better with a lawyer) to get 3-6 months extra, and to not force the LL to have to take you to court.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby ivorytgrlilly » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:56 pm

Your advice is very helpful, thank you.

A few more questions:

1. Reference: If I have to try to negotiate with my landlord to stay in the apartment for 6 months - as he originally stated - and the negotiations go poorly then, realistically I can no longer use him as a positive reference. Since I've been living in my current location for 5+ years, I do not have other landlords as alternative reference options.

2. Court: If I take my landlord to court, then will my name be on the 'black list'? In other words, can other landlords - who I would like to rent from - search that list and think that I am a bad tentant even though I've paid my rent on time for 5+ years and never caused trouble.

3. Lawyer: Can you recommend where I can find a great, reasonably priced lawyer? And, will the legal costs = the amount of one month's rent?

4. Word: Since my landlord stated that we would have 6 months from the time he sold the building to move out and now is changing what he said at the direction of the broker, is there anything I can do to hold him to his word?

Thank you.
ivorytgrlilly

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments