TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Month to month tenant - repair issue

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Month to month tenant - repair issue

Postby overmyhead » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:15 pm

I've had an ongoing leak in my ceiling since February of this year. I live w/o a lease in a single family home on one floor. 1st & 2nd floor have been converted into apartments. I've lived here over 6 years.

I notified the landlord in February of the leak. He sent plumbers, who informed him that it wasn't the pipes, but the tiles and the bathtub that were leaking. In JUNE, he had a handyman come and retile the bathroom upstairs. This did not fix the leak. He came to my house on June 13th, demanding to be let in to see the work the handyman did. The ceiling was CLEARLY wet. He sighed, left, and didn't say another word. I'm planning on trying to move in the new year, but I want to make sure he can't hold HIS unrepaired leak against me and try to say that he had NO idea it was leaking when I leave. Frankly, I'm reticent to call him and push the issue,because he can be a very nasty person, hurl untrue accusations at you, etc. And, because of what happened in February, he raised my rent. I'm fearful of his retaliation. Anyone have any advice? Thank you.
overmyhead

Leak

Postby Emeraldstar » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:24 pm

Hi All
Take lots of dated pics now with a friend holding the days newspaper in the pics. The Post or Daily News is good for this. Save the paper too. Then you have proof when this took place so your ok when it's time to move.
Emeraldstar

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments