TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Lease Renewal in Building with Construction Work

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Lease Renewal in Building with Construction Work

Postby pickles » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:42 am

I have been living in a 300+ unit building (constructed 1975) in Manhattan for the past seven years.

A year and a half ago, the building was sold to a new owner who has renovated many of the apartments with minor improvements (surface finishes) and raised rents by more than 50% for those units. We heard rumours that they were going to start forcing out tenants currently paying the lower rents by forcing them into renovated apartments out of their price range.

This year the building has undergone a massive construction project which was a huge inconvenience - the lobby was entirely reconstructed as were the hallways, and one of three elevators was blocked off for the construction. The roof/terrace and gym, which are advertised amenities, have also been unavailable for most of the year.

My lease renewal has a $250 increase - this in spite of the fact that the building is offering new tenants *two months free* for the "inconvenience" of the construction.

Do they have to offer the same terms to existing tenants as they are offering new tenants? I want to ask them to leave the rent flat to last year (if not lower) due to (1) the ongoing construction which has been a HUGE inconvenience (2) the withdrawal of amenities previously offered, such as the roof, the gym, and the third elevator, (3) since they are subsidizing incoming tenants by two months rent (albeit on the higher, renovated rent cost), and (4) given the economy

Would very much appreciate any suggestions/advice.

Thank you.
pickles

Postby TenantNet » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:12 am

You have no rights (as to the level of rent) other than what your lease says. And in most cases the LL dictates the lease terms.

This is what you get in unregulated apartments, and when people vote in politicians like Bloomberg, Quinn and others. (although in your case the bldg was constructed in 1975, so it would not have been regulated in the first instance unless subject to certain tax programs).
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby pickles » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:18 am

Thank you for the prompt response. I know they can raise the rent as much as they want in an unregulated building, I was just wondering if (1) they are required to make any concessions for significant inconveniences or removal of facilities (2) there is any requirement for them to be equitable about the two free months they are offering new tenants for the same inconvenience
pickles

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments