TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

We're all on the lease, but I want them gone next year

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

We're all on the lease, but I want them gone next year

Postby NYCGirlyJ » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:20 am

I live in a large, beautiful apartment. I've lived here for over a year. My previous roommates had been there for some time and wanted to move, so I found replacements on craigslist. 3 of their parents are our guarantors.

Because I was already tenant, management lets us pay well below market value, which is crazy because it really is a beautiful place.

Here's the problem.

I've lived in quite a few group situations and I have never seen as much drama in the first 2 months of a living situation as I've seen with these girls. Normally everyone's still on their best behavior.

There is pretty much a ringleader, I got on her bad side (I believe partially because I didn't let her have the room she wanted), and she began making up lies about me, hinting all kinds of weird things about me, (my favorite was her telling everyone she thought I had some kind of mental issue only 2 weeks into her living with me. When I asked her why she felt that way, she couldn't give me an explanation) and none of us knew each other, so I didn't really sit anyone down and explain my side, I just withdrew from everyone, so they listen to her.

I feel like I'm in a bad remake of some teen cheerleader movie. They're fine on their own, but get them talking to each other and gossiping and they're a nightmare. There was literally a point where I was having anxiety when I walked past our living room if they were sitting there. I hate to sound mean, but I really dislike these people and I get along with most people.

ANYWAY, the long and short of it is, the lease only started a few months ago, but I already know I do not want to live with these people for another year. So who gets the place?

We're all on the lease. What happens come next year? Does my seniority help me at all? I was here first, the people in the management know me, so that must count for something, but at the end of the day, don't we all have the same claims to the apartment? And doesn't it end up being them against me?

HELP! I was here first, I don't think I should be the one to have to move. :(
NYCGirlyJ

Postby TenantNet » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:51 am

You're all on the lease -- you all have equal tenancy rights. Check the lease to see if it addresses group situations.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments