TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Month to month

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Month to month

Postby gsl » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:50 pm

My roommate and I live in a walkup with several other apartments. The lease expired a couple of years ago (only one of us was on it); since then we've been month to month.

We called the landlord a few times last winter about the building heat, and more recently about issues related to construction within our apartment (work started and left incomplete, late-night calls from Landlord requesting access to our apt the next morning, etc).

Landlord indicated that "we complain too much", then notified us via text message that he wants us out (he did give over 30 days notice).

Legally (and realistically), what are our options? We would like several more months prior to leaving.
gsl

Postby TenantNet » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:10 pm

Some LLs say that in the heat of the moment, then cool down. A text message is not a legal notice by any means. I would ignore it. Look at the M2M article in the Forum's reference section.

Also, access rules are in the reference section.

I would also start looking to investigate if the unit is (or should be) rent stabilized. LLs often tell tenants the units are not subject to rent stab when they should be.

If you don't have RS status, the LL will eventually get you out, but the clock doesn't even start until you get proper notice, and then you can likely stretch it out a few months even if they take you to court.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments