TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Desperate to move, what are breaking lease rules?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Desperate to move, what are breaking lease rules?

Postby desperatetomove! » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi! I'm from Canada and it works totally differently there so I'm hoping someone can help me.

My roommate and I moved into a 2 bedroom in June and signed a 1 year lease. It hasn't been terrible but since we moved in we have had a few problems.

1. found out they were renting/advertising the same unit (on other floors) for more than $300 less than what we pay
2. workers were in our apartments, moving and touching things without our permission or knowledge when we were not home
3. hot water and heat have not worked/been turned off with no notice
4. our building manager left and we were not informed of a new contact person, had been emailing and requesting repairs on chipping paint and broken electrical fixtures for almost a month and finally saw someone around the building who told us we had a new building manager but no one knew the name or contact info

Essentially, I want out. We sent an email to the general info email address of our management company asking what the procedure is for leaving early, but got no response. What are my rights, what can I do, how does this usually work, and are any of the things I listed above usually clear violations of a standard lease?

Thanks for your help!
desperatetomove!

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments