TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Question about the end of my lease

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Question about the end of my lease

Postby nar412 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:27 pm

I'm in a non-regulated apartment in Brooklyn, and I'm a little confused about my legal rights surrounding the end of my lease.

The lease is up on February 1st. I tried to call my landlord's office back in December to discuss my options, but nobody ever returned my calls. Fast-forward to yesterday (Jauary 17th), when a new lease came in the mail from my landlord. I cannot afford the hefty rent increase, and the letter stated that if I do not agree to the lease I will have to vacate on January 31st.

I'm pretty sure they legally had to give me more notice than this, but I'm having a hard time finding information about my rights as a non-stabilized tenant (most of the information I find is about rent-stabilized apartments). Since I'm not going to sign this lease, how long can I legally stay in my apartment?
nar412

Postby TenantNet » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:39 pm

No notice is required. Your lease ends and that's it. If you were month-to-month that would be different (there's a post on that in the Reference section).

You can stay after the lease ends and you become a "holdover." The LL can then take you to court seeking your eviction. He can also seek rent at the higher amount for any time you stay beyond the end of your lease.

In practical terms, if the LL isn't crazy, you can often negotiate time to move out.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments