TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Partial Vacate Order - What are my rights - Help!

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Partial Vacate Order - What are my rights - Help!

Postby JSnyder2914 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:45 am

Returned home to my apt in Manhattan the evening of Jan 14 to find an officer from the Fire Marshal's office. The Buildings Dept. had posted a "Partial Vacate" order on the door of the building due to violations for "no secondary exit" and "no sprinklers". They said we could no longer sleep in the apt since it was unsafe. I was told I can go in to pack and get my belongings, but that's it.

What exactly is a "Partial Vacate Order"?

The Building Dept was going to pay for 2 nights at the YMCA, which is unacceptable.

The LL offered an apt in the building next door, but my lease expires the end of January anyway, so it doesn't make sense to move there for two weeks. Plus, I'd have to pay a mover, as the unit's on the fourth floor.

In the interim, I've been staying at a nearby hotel for $120/night.

All the landlord wants to offer is half of January's rent and terminate the lease.

What are my rights? Can I stay at a hotel and demand payment for the room, meals, etc, in addition to getting a refund of rent? What about compensation for my utilities, cable, food in the refrigerator, etc, plus for the inconvenience, stress, etc?
JSnyder2914

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments