TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

"time limit" for tenant return request of security

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

"time limit" for tenant return request of security

Postby goodneighbor » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:56 am

The brass tacks:
I moved out of an apartment about 1 year 3 months ago, and moved overseas.
In the tumult of the situation, I did not recover my security deposit, and didn't even ask.
I'm back in NYC, and wondering if I can persue this, or if I waived some rights by waiting for so long.

On a sidenote, I'm sure they did have to do some cleaning and trash removal. Does the landlord have to provide an itemized list of costs vs. my deposit, or are they not required to account for their use of my deposit?

Thank you all so much,
-L

The longer version, should it provide any other info:
I rented a non-regulated unit for 2 years, at a preferential rate.
I signed a "waiver" understanding that this unit had just transitioned into high rent deregulation, in the real demandable rent. That is, they had been renting at preferential rates for years, while they let the "real" rent increase with each tenant turnover.
In the third year, I was told that the landlord was not offering to renew my lease, as he wanted to rent to a relative. This was a really bad time for me, and I negotiated a 3 month extension.
I moved out..
I then found the unit on the open market through brokers for $200 over my last rent. (I walked by one day and a broker happened to be waiting for a client outside)
goodneighbor

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments