TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Late returning signed lease renewal -- can LL kick me out?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Late returning signed lease renewal -- can LL kick me out?

Postby michael_sclar » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:49 pm

My lease expires at the end of this month. LL sent me a renewal in December. I have not signed the form yet (was thinking of moving out), but am now ready to renew.

If I return the signed form before the end of my current lease, does LL **have** to accept it? Or is there a law that says I must return the renewal at least 30 days before lease expires or else LL doesn't have to honor his previous offer?

I live in a non-rent reg co-op in Brooklyn, NY.

Thanks!
Michael
michael_sclar

Postby lofter1 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:04 pm

The law says the LL must offer you two copies of the properly executed RTP-8 lease renewal form not less than 90 days before the end of the lease term. And that the T must return both the executed renewal forms within 60 days of receipt.

Are the dates on the form submitted by the LL correct? Are the rent amounts correct? If not then the renewal form should be amended by the LL before you sign it.

Things like that could buy you time by extending the reply clock.

If all is in order and you're beyond the 60 days and you want to renew then send them in anyway.

Make sure you make copies of what you return for your files.
lofter1

Postby TenantNet » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:23 pm

Lofter, that's incorrect. He says he's unregulated and it's the non-regulated forum.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby lofter1 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:26 pm

Sorry - I need a vacation :wink:
lofter1

Postby NYHawk » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:28 am

is there a law that says I must return the renewal at least 30 days before lease expires or else LL doesn't have to honor his previous offer?

No.

Isn't there something stated in the renewal lease and/or any cover-letter used to send it to you which addresses the issue of how long you have to accept or reject the renewal offer? (There probably is. Read the papers you received very carefully.) If so, that is what controls this situation.
NYHawk

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments