TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Breaking the lease

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Breaking the lease

Postby skim » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:14 pm

Hello there,

I pay $2900 for a 2-bedroom (really a 1 bedroom with an extra wall) in the Lower East Side. I just renewed my lease last year and it now expires Dec 1, 2009. We are looking to move to a MUCH cheaper place in Brooklyn ($2100 max), and inquired about breaking the least and moving in September 1. After some haggling, the landlord offered $2700 per month, which was still not affordable enough for us. Finally the landlord agreed that we would break the lease and that he would return my deposit should the apartment be rented out by Sept 1.

I consulted my lawyer who drafted up an agreement. However my landlord refused to sign it, only saying that the deposit will be returned to me should the apartment be in good condition. Of course I do not trust him and I am afraid that this "verbal agreement" has no effect. So I went back to him and asked if we could keep the lease til Dec and if we could take that $2700 offer. He said then I would have to renew for an additional year, until Dec 2010. I am so frustrated. What can I do?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!
skim

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments