TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

landlord says lease renewal does not renew orginal lease

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

landlord says lease renewal does not renew orginal lease

Postby mnyx510 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:30 am

According to the terms of my original lease, I received May 2008 free. I renewed for a higher rent, but there is no mention of the terms of the original lease changing. The LL tried to charge me for May 2009, and I wrote (certified mail/send receipt) to them telling them that they were not supposed to charge me, etc. They called me, said they disagreed, that because the clause in the original lease re: May free rent says "this year", referring to the year 2008, that the clause did not renew.

This seems contrary to the definition of a renewal, and unlawful, but I'm not sure and am looking for any info to help.

There also is no way for me to formally request/complain.....plenty for rent stabilized/regulated tenants and landlords, but there seem to be no resources for me to request arbitration either.

Any ideas? Am I nuts? (Live in NYC....)

Thanks!
mnyx510

Postby TenantNet » Thu May 21, 2009 12:14 pm

If you live in NYC, then you might be nuts.

Sorry, but as I understand your question, you rented a non-regulated apartment where, perhaps as an inducement, the landlord offered you one month free.

Why would you think than that the owner is required to give you the same month free every year in subsequent leases? A renewal is an extension of the existing lease and usually carries the same terms and conditions, so it depends on the language of the original lease. Does it say May 2008, or every month of May in all subsequent years?

If not a renewal, the owner may offer a new lease. If it's regulated, then things are different.

If you feel upset over this apparent lack of protections for unregulated apartments, then you have to ask why units are unregulated. Did you vote for Bloomberg? Does you city council member support Christine Quinn?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby mnyx510 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:19 pm

I came here for help, not political commentary on where I live or my choices. If you do not have anything constructive to add, please do not respond. I'm sure I'm not the only person in this situation and would appreciate some respect.

That being said, anyone else have any thoughts or experience on something similar?

Thanks!
mnyx510

Postby TenantNet » Thu May 21, 2009 1:02 pm

This explains why tenants get screwed. They come up with screwy ideas and then get defensive and delusional. Since you asked about being nuts in NYC, you did ask for it. You may not be the only person who has gotten a free month as an inducement, but I guarantee that you're one of a very few with the audacity to think you get that free month every year. Perhaps you don't understand your question was answered. And yes, unregulated tenants have few protections because too many support bad politicians. But the bullet buster.

TenantNet

Postby mnyx510 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:13 pm

And insulting the people who come to your forum only proves you're ignorant, and only interested in helping people who think as you do. Shame.
mnyx510

Postby TenantNet » Thu May 21, 2009 1:21 pm

Oh, the shame!

Perhaps you next might want the landlord to pay your income taxes? Why should you belittle tenants with real problems.

TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments