TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Entrances not secure

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Entrances not secure

Postby bkjones » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:10 pm

I have a duplex so there are 2 doors at ea. floor. All 4 doors have security issues.
The parlor bldg entrance is fine and secure. But upstairs tenants often don't close it tight. Also despite repeated requests for key code, I only have 1 key for this door, so my family member can't use this entrance.
My residence door is a flimsy interior hollow core door and the only lock is the button on the brass door knob. Esp. concerning since the outer door is often left ajar. I have repeatedly asked for a proper entrance door & a safe lock.

The outer door at lower level is an iron gate. A few wks ago an attempted burglery left the iron broken & it's now possible to open without key. In fact easier w/o key than with. The interior door here has no lock.

311 says the LL has a reasonable time to make repair to gate, but can't explain what a reasonable amt. of time is. 3 wks & no repair.

What are my legal options? Can I change door, install locks, repair gate & deduct from rent? Or with hold rent until it's corrected? I am very vulnerable in a ruff hood & find this unacceptable.
bkjones

Postby Cranky Tenant » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:52 pm

Use of a hollow core door as the front door to an apartment is illegal in New York because it's not fire proof.

Take a look at the Housing Law link at the top of this page or try googling tenant.net for "fire proof door." For example, the NYS Multiple Dwelling Law which states in section 170 states

3. The public hall or stair partitions and soffit of stairs
shall be fire-retarded and said partitions fire-stopped. The
apartment entrance doors and door assemblies in such hall
shall be fire-proof and self-closing.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby bkjones » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:50 am

thanks Cranky.
I always knew it was unsafe, but I didn't know it was illegal. I had wondered what I should do since requests to replace it have no result.
What I'm understanding is the only legal recourse I have is to call 311 and file a complaint.
bkjones

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:17 am

You mentioned you live in a duplex but you didn't say how many units are in this brownstone. If there are only two units it may not be subject to the Multiple Dwelling Law.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby bkjones » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:57 am

3. but 1 is illegal & undocumented. No c of o, converted from single family to 3 units just over 4 yrs ago. listed as 2family.
If cheap hollow core doors were legal, it would be the norm. I've never seen one used as the entrance to apt before.
Maybe LL gets away with this because it's listed as a 2fam.?
bkjones

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments