TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Security Deposit/New LL

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Security Deposit/New LL

Postby rentified » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:00 am

My husband and I have lived in the same apt. for 15 years. The building was recently sold. The new owners have been refusing requests to pay for repairs for our neighbors (claiming these items were not mentioned as needing repair when they bought the house) and most recently an exterminator for our neighbors (the latter of which we know is illegal.) Our lease ends Aug. 30 and we have recently signed a new lease for Aug 1. We are fully planning on pay the August rent even though we may not be there. We would like to use our security deposit towards the last month's rent given the reputation the landlord has already established. Our security deposit is half a month of rent and we would pay the other half of the rent to make the full month.

I'd like to know:
1-Can they evict us (and how soon) for the last month if we say we are going to use our security deposit?

2-The building is extremely old and was never kept up. We are afraid they will charge us for damages that were here before we started renting (i.e. marks in the wood floors, etc.) Given that they just bought the building and are planning to gut the place, how can they tap our security for such things?

Note: adding to the shadiness - the landlord is a lawyer and was still trying to have our neighbor pay for an exterminator.

Thanks in advance for your help.
rentified

Postby TenantNet » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:04 am

Which is illegal, the exterminator or the neighbors?

If your current lease goes to the end of August, why sign a new lease for August 1? Are you moving to a new place?

Why would you tell them in advance to use the deposit for the last month?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby rentified » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:12 am

The landlord is legally supposed to pay for an exterminator.

Our lease was a year long lease ending Aug. 30. We got a jump on looking for a new apartment and found one we liked (the lease starts Aug.1) We will probably be entirely moved out of our current place by mid August if not sooner.

We pay rent rent the first of the month, so we would only be sending them half a month expecting our security to cover the rest. I'm expecting they'll ask about this.
rentified

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments