TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

gas company break in

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

gas company break in

Postby bkjones » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:34 am

As if I weren't dealing with enough here already!
There are 2 gas meters in basement, which is accessed through my apartment.
LL didn't pay gas bill. Couple wks ago they came and locked one meter that operated the hot water for bldg. LL paid and gas co. came & unlocked.
Now the gas company broke in and confiscated the 2nd meter, leaving us no cooking gas. LL has paid and it's scheduled to be reinstalled next week.
Am I allowed a discount for lack of cooking gas for 2 wks and lack of hot water for 1 wk?
I find it extremely disturbing that the court gave gas co. right to break into apartment while I was at work. Appears that they have the house listed as the residence of LL. Would court order still have allowed the break in if they'd known it was a tenant's residence?
I searched the archives here, can't find info.
bkjones

Postby queensborough » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Is this a basement apartment and a possible illegal apartment? Access to building gas meters should NOT be through your apartment. Do you pay your own gas and electric bill?
queensborough

Postby bkjones » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:01 pm

It's a brownstone duplex. Includes basement. All utilities are included in rent.
I have the parlor floor, the garden level, and the basement. All meters and hvac system & water heater are in basement.
It's not exactly illegal. Except that I discovered there's no c of o and it's listed as a single family although it was concerted to 3 units 4 yrs ago.
The gas co. seems to understand that this is the LL residence.
I was advised to call the police, but the courts gave gas co. permission to enter via break in if no one's home.
I wonder if it would still have been allowed if the judge knew an innocent tenant resides here.
It was disturbing to me.
bkjones

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments