TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

No Gas - what are my options

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

No Gas - what are my options

Postby malocascio » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:44 pm

I moved into an apartment in Manhattan on July 1, and as of this morning we still don't have gas connected to our unit, so we can't use the stove. We do have water, power, A/C. We are trying to negotiate a rent reduction for the month with our landlord, so I want to know what legal recourse we have. Is gas covered under the Warranty of Habitability? Or other laws? Additionally, the elevator is also not working. We are on the second floor so it is not a big deal, but does this represent another leg for us to stand on?

Thanks!
malocascio

Postby Cranky Tenant » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:50 pm

What exactly do you mean when you say you don't have gas? Is the entire building without gas or have you just not contacted ConEd and asked them to turn it on?
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby malocascio » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:12 pm

Our unit is the only one without gas, although only a few other units are occupied as there is ongoing renovation in the building. We are the first tenants in our unit since the landlord renovated and he told us he would have everything ready when we moved in. We have been pressing him on a variety of issues, including the gas, and he has said that for the gas he hasn't been able to get ConEd to come in, that he is expecting them soon. This has been his line for a few weeks now. He has never suggested that we need to contact ConEd regarding the gas, but we do have an account with them for electricity.
malocascio

Postby Cranky Tenant » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:42 pm

Getting gas restored in a building where it's been turned off can take months. First it probably needs to be signed off on by a licensed plumber and then ConEd has to do their thing. If other apartments in the building are currently under construction it's possible the gas lines still need work too.

In an unregulated apartment you have limited recourses. Once your lease is up the landlord is under no obligation to renew your lease and there's no limit on the amount he can raise the rent on renewal. It would be best to negotiate some form of rebate for lack of gas and elevator services.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby queensborough » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:18 pm

Call Con Ed yourself and find out whats going on. Stop asking the LL since he is really of no help here. What's his excuse for the non-working elevator?
queensborough

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments