TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

what happens once I've called 311

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

what happens once I've called 311

Postby bkjones » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:15 am

and filed complaints on LL? What will happen next?
bkjones

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:44 am

311 is Bloomberg's fraud. In many cases nothing happens. They lose the complaint. They send it to the wrong agency. The agency falsely claims they looked into it.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby bkjones » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:40 pm

Oh my goodness! I can't say I'm surprised to hear this! But it makes me wonder why I'm urged to call 311 as the only solution to my problems.

If it worked..... would the city send inspectors? Would they fine LL & make them correct? Or would the city correct problems and bill LL?

After calling 311 and filing complaint, would that become public record?
bkjones

Postby queensborough » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:15 pm

We had very good luck when we filed a complaint with 311. An inspector came, did the inspection for our complaint, and while he was at the property, he found several other violations that had nothing to do with our complaint. We were even able to arrange for the inspector to come when we would be home. He also did a second inspection for the most serious violation. I guess it just depends who you get. You'll get a complaint # and a phone number where you can contact them.
queensborough

Postby Jeffnet » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:08 am

311, in my experience, is only good up to a point.

I called in a building-wide complaint. Inspectors came and issued violations. Landlord certifies work was done when it wasn't. HPD takes their word for it and doesn't reinspect.

Called a second time, and inspectors came and reissued violations. So far, no action on landlord and violation must be corrected by October. Whether it will be corrected by then is anybody's guess, and if it isn't, I am not holding my breath the LL will be fined, etc. So I'm sure I'll have to call in a third time, and around again we go....
Jeffnet

Postby bkjones » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:01 pm

Thanks for the comments.
Does the complaint go on some type of public record associated with the LL or the bldg?
What if there are tons of violations and health & fire hazards? Is it possible that the city would make tenants vacate?
I'm getting ready to call about a horrible mold issue in the basement. But there are numerous countless other violations. So I understnad that I could expect that the city will send inspectors, give the LL a time frame to correct and then issue LL a fine.
It will not put me on some kind of list that would make it hard to rent a new apartment? Like an appearance in LL/tenant court can do.
Is it possible that LL can retaliate by serving 30 day notice?
bkjones

Postby Jeffnet » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:57 pm

bk,

Yes, the complaint becomes public record - anyone can look up the violations of any building and view it on the internet.

As for making tenants vacate - well, that's the inspector's call. Make a list of all violations and call 311. Violations or complaints not listed might not get attention.

NO, it will not put you on any blacklist. If you made the complaint in good faith and violations were issued, then you have really nothing to worry about. LL won't be too happy of course, (especially if they have to spend money to correct) but if you want to try and correct your problem, then call and explain the possible violations. LL cannot evict you for making a good faith complaint. Don't exaggerate, though.

My complaint now requires the LL to paint the building's hallways on all floors as well as other public spaces. Since that could cost big bucks, they're stalling as much as they can. Haven't received a notice to leave because of it. And I even filed a DHCR rent reduction request to boot.

Good Luck!
Jeffnet

Postby TenantNet » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:24 am

Jeffnet, you should clarify your statement.

Complaints and Violations are two different things. Violations, when placed, are indeed part of the public record and depending on the agency, can be seen on-line, but always within the agency.

Complaints (which have not been turned into violations) are not always public record per se, nor are they always available online. Some agencies report that complaints were made, but not necessarily details. Sure, one can go to the agencies them selves and get internal documents, but that's time-consuming. And with 311, you do not have to give them your name and identifying details (although if it's within your apartment, the LL can figure that out).

TenantNet

Postby Jeffnet » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:03 pm

From my own experience, anytime a complaint is filed with 311, it is public record if it is under the jurisdiction of HPD or the Buildings Department. It can be viewed on their respective website.

As for not giving your name for some complaints, 311 can not enter certain complaints without a person's name and apartment number.

For instance, my complaint with the building's hallway walls could not be filed without someone's name and apartment. Even though it was a building-wide complaint, it could not be done anonymously.

Strangely, for another complaint concerning building lighting, it could be inputted anonymously. Why the difference, I don't know.

Therefore, it would be interesting to find out why some complaints can be filed anonymously and others not, with respect to building-wide problems.
Jeffnet

Postby TenantNet » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:16 pm

From my own experience, anytime a complaint is filed with 311, it is public record if it is under the jurisdiction of HPD or the Buildings Department. It can be viewed on their respective website.

Some do go online, but a fair number don't. And many of the details are not necessarily listed.

As for not giving your name for some complaints, 311 can not enter certain complaints without a person's name and apartment number.

That's not true at all. I make plenty of complaints just to get it on record, not necessarily expecting the agencies to actually do something. Most of the time I decline to give name and apartment number. If they are telling you that, then it's misinformation. Obviously, if it's a problem within your apartment, then it makes no difference as the LL will know.

Many of the operators at 311 are not trained properly. For example, I recently placed a complaint (anonymously) about an obstruction on a sidewalk (a large sign put out by a store that was blocking the sidewalk). Those are handled by Dept. of Transportation mostly (in some cases Sanitation). But the operator insisted they give it to Buildings. Of course the complaint got lost and not even entered into the system. In fact 311 has certain codes for complaints they don't enter.

TenantNet

Postby Jeffnet » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:53 pm

Tenantnet:

Is there any reason why you would only make some complaints anonymously? Do you think there will be any retribution from the LL? Isn't this what we're NOT supposed to be afraid of?
Jeffnet

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:06 pm

Search this forum and see how many times tenants claim harassment or retaliation.

TenantNet

Postby Jeffnet » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:03 am

I hate to add another post, but...

With regards to anonymous complaints, I recently left a picture of a pile of garbage in a common area in my LL's mailbox in the lobby. I did not put my name on it...just left it anonymously.

Today, the maintenance guy stopped me and said he knew it was me that left the picture for the LL and asked that I not ever do that again because it got him in trouble and that he almost lost his job over it.

I once wrote the LL a letter about this issue with a picture, so I guess the LL told the maintenance guy about it, and both thought "who else could it be?".

So, even if you do something anonymously, it still can bite you. Although I don't think he should have brought it up if it was anonymous.
Jeffnet

Postby TenantNet » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:35 am

Perhaps your reaction just confirmed to them what they already suspected . Sure, some are more likely than others to complain, and it doesn't take a lot of human understanding of the pool of operators (in this case the tenants in your building) to get a good idea. But you're also not in a court of law under oath. They don't have to prove it, but apprarently you did.

TenantNet

Postby bkjones » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:57 am

oh boy. big fireworks! I finally bit the bullet and called 311 today. I made 9 complaints against LL, anonymously. (I'm on of only 3 tenants, so not so anonymous)
To my surprise the LL is already leaving me threatening & angry messages in response to the call of complaints. Seems the city wasted no time in reaching her.
They should give her some reasonable time to make repairs. Then I don't know what happens from there.
She's making vague and disturbing threats on my vm. I am feeling very vulnerable and miserable.
Here we go....
She had already served me 30 day notice on Aug 1st because I am withholding rent pending remediation.
bkjones

Next

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments