TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

What can I do with this situation?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

What can I do with this situation?

Postby jimjen1983 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:25 pm

Hello Tenant Forum,
Last month they reduced my hours at work. This resulted in me paying my rent late for July. My landlord suddenly started harrassing me saying that she needed to pay her mortgage and that I must do everything I can to pay my august rent before august came in. This had me very nervous and anxious since I have to combine 2 checks to pay my rent and I was also bothered because on my lease it says I have until the 10th of each month to pay my rent , after that a late fee is added.

Well on 7/24/2009 the landlord leaves me a message on my cell phone saying: "This is to let you know that if you do not pay your rent by the 1st of august I want you to move out and give me the keys to the apartment on that date and I will be taking your Security Deposit" So now I am angry and nervous, I know she is violating my rights as tenant by telling me I have to give the apartment in one week.

The situation is the following, I do not want to deal with a landlord like this ,so I started looking for a new place. I found another apartment in a building with a more reasonable rent that I know I will be able to afford instead of the $1000 I am paying in rent , and an additional 300 in light and gas , water all this for a very small 1bdrm apt in the bx. The problem is that the owner still has not made a decision on who he is giving the apartment to. It is between me and another gentlemen. I am not sure how he is going to decide but from what I know about the guy is that he is 22 yrs old, and has only been working for 4 months at his current job, who recently laid him off and now they offered him the job again and he has no credit established. Me on the other hand am 26 yrs , have been working at my job for 2 yrs now, the job I had before I was there for 4 yrs , and my credit is established and in good standing. But I still don't know .

I am confused as to what I should do , should I hold the money to move or should I just pay her the rent. The problem is that if I pay the rent I will not be able to move and I rather move because if this lady is behaving this way I could already see how its going to be with her and I hate living under pressure that way. I feel as if I can't even walk into my house without her checking my every move. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks very much , I just need some options as to what can I do in this situation that is legal.
jimjen1983

Postby TenantNet » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:49 pm

This is a duplicate of your previous post. All follow-ups should be on the initial thread.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments