TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Moving out before lease terms

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Moving out before lease terms

Postby kenzox8 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:56 pm

I recently move out of NY state from a Financial district apartment where I have lived for 2 1/2 years, about 6 months before the lease terms. I am trying to find someone to sublet but unable to find one so far. My landlord insist me to continue to pay the full ammount of rent, which is a big financial burden for me. Is there any law to protect me in this regard?
Thank you so much for answering.
kenzox8

Postby TenantNet » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:59 pm

If you were shipped out by the Navy, maybe. Otherwise, not really. If they re-rent the place, you're off the hook.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby kenzox8 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:12 pm

TenantNet wrote:If you were shipped out by the Navy, maybe. Otherwise, not really. If they re-rent the place, you're off the hook.

==
Thanks. I read that contract but there is no specific words on this situation of breaking the lease early. I wonder if there is any laws regarding "How much time I should notice the landlord before I move out", "Tenant should pay 1-2 months rent penalty" etc?

In the contract, however, it mentions that if I move out permanently, I am in "default" and landlord can (or should?) terminate the lease. Is this correct?

What if I just don't pay the rent?
kenzox8

Postby TenantNet » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Moving out does not put you in default. After all, you can continue to pay rent on an empty unit. What puts you into default is not paying the rent.

Of course if the LL claims you are in default, they can terminate the lease. At that point you might be off the hook.

Being in another state, it's more difficult for the LL to come after you for the rent, but it's possible. It might also impact your credit rating.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments