TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Construction/Rent Reduction?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Construction/Rent Reduction?

Postby lizstar319 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:16 pm

Our landlord has had serious construction going on the apartment below ours for the past week or so. He was gutting the apartment, and now is rebuilding it. They've been working Monday through Friday, from 9 on the dot to sometimes as late as 10. They've also been working on Saturdays, from 11-ish to about 5 or so.

The construction literally shakes our apartment, and generates so much dust (which the men are only now starting to clean up after I texted the LL) that it comes all the way up the stairs, and creeps into our apartment. The noise makes it impossible to concentrate on anything, or to sleep.

I haven't seen any permits posted on the building, and the LL didn't inform us that this was going to be going on (he lives upstairs, and is moving into the apt being rehabbed - we are the only actual tenants in the building).

We want to ask for a rent reduction, but aren't sure what a reasonable amount to ask for is. It's a 3bed, and we're paying $3300. We've been here for just under 2 months. I'd like to preserve a decent relationship with him - not planning on re-signing the lease, but we do still have 10 months and I have to see him in the hallway every few days, plus I'd like a reference so I can move someplace better.

Any advice? Thanks!
lizstar319

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments