TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Private Backyard Not Listed on Lease

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Private Backyard Not Listed on Lease

Postby rentinginbrooklyn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:12 pm

Hello. I just recently signed a lease for a garden-level duplex in Brooklyn. The apartment was listed as having a private backyard, which is only accessible from our apartment.

I was researching these forums on a different issue and realized a lot of people with yard problems did not have it listed on their lease. I read over my lease and noticed it was not specifically listed. I think this would fall in the Amenities section, but it lists us as having no Amenities.

I am a bit worried about this, as I start my lease on the 1st and would like to specifically add it. I am worried that without having it in writing, I am not going to be able to use it and have protection for my belongings (ex. If I want to keep chairs or a grill back there, or even have plants). I want to ask my managements company t add it to the lease before I take actual possession.

Any suggestions on how to bring this up with my management company? I already signed a lease but I feel like if they do not add it on there then the apartment was falsely advertised.
rentinginbrooklyn

Postby queensborough » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:34 am

Why not just ask them to put on your lease, since the listing stated private backyard.
queensborough

Postby rentinginbrooklyn » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:10 pm

queensborough wrote:Why not just ask them to put on your lease, since the listing stated private backyard.

That is my plan. I'm just wondering if they give me a hard time with that since the property manager is somewhat stubborn, if I have any more ammo to get them to actually do it. It shouldn't be too hard on their end.
rentinginbrooklyn

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments