TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

MCI for a non-regulated apartment?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

MCI for a non-regulated apartment?

Postby dmkfhq » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:28 pm

I live in a rent-stabilized building, but my apartment is non-regulated (as are several other apartments in the building). I recently renewed my lease, effective May 1.

I received my rent statement today, and it includes charges for Major Capital Improvements (MCI) and Retroactive MCI. I know that building recently received approval to charge MCI for improvements it made. But I thought that MCI charges applied only to rent-stabilized apartments. (What sense would it make to pass on MCI charges to a non-regulated tenant, when the landlord is free to raise rents as much as he wants the next time I renew my lease?)

These charges total a little more than $100 a month, so I really don't want to just shrug it off if it's not legitimate ...
dmkfhq

Postby TenantNet » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:02 pm

You're right, it's not legit if you're bonafide unregulated.

But on the other hand, if there's a chance that your unit should still be regulated, then you might be better off being regulated even with a MCI. Do not accept that you are unregulated just because the LL says you aren't. You should get a rent history from DHCR (to start) and then examine if the supposed deregulation was legal.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: MCI for a non-regulated apartment?

Postby Landlord's Boy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am

dmkfhq wrote:What sense would it make to pass on MCI charges to a non-regulated tenant, when the landlord is free to raise rents as much as he wants the next time I renew my lease?

It's a goof. I've made it myself. Just call up your LL and you'll probably get an apology and be told to ignore the notice.
Always Report Leaks Immediately!
Landlord's Boy

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments