TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Crumbling brownstone, unresponsive landlord - what to do?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Crumbling brownstone, unresponsive landlord - what to do?

Postby abh121 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:31 pm

I'll try to make this short.

Moved into room on April 1, wooed in part by the live-in landlord/owner who promised to make lots of improvements to the property (a 120-year-old brownstone).

Immediately noticed numerous issues, such as:
missing/broken floor tiles in bathroom
improperly installed toilet in bathroom
mold in bathroom
lack of heat
dripping faucets, clogged drains
lack of smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors
filthy common areas (I had to clean the laundry room and bathroom on my own when I moved in, they were so disgusting)
loose/broken steps
lingering trash in backyard
badly lit hallways and stairways
no lock on my front door (so I can't access it via a key)

I sent a letter to the landlord via certified mail mid-April enumerating the issues above and inquiring about the status of a fire inspection because I could see the FDNY was sending numerous letters to the house.

Landlord didn't respond to the letter.

At that point, I chose to withhold rent until he paid attention to my concerns.

Today he sent me an email demanding rent immediately and threatening to take it to collections (WTF?). I responded with a comprehensive spreadsheet of all the repairs needed on the property to make it conform to the Housing Maintenance Code/Warranty of Habitability.

I'm genuinely concerned about the safety of the property. Another tenant already took a bad tumble down the stairs, in part because they are not lit at night. The stairways look/feel/sound like they are about to crumble, as well.

Also, I am wondering about illegal apartment conversions. The house was originally a one-family dwelling; at some point it was converted to three apartments. The landlord just constructed a wall on the third floor - presumably to create another bedroom he can rent out. Is this legal?

Am I wrong to withhold rent? What should I do?
abh121

Postby TenantNet » Tue May 25, 2010 4:04 pm

Are you in a room, or an apartment? Is it a rooming house or a SRO?
Do you have a lease?
How many other tenants in the building?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby abh121 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:27 pm

I am in a room. I share a bathroom and a laundry room with one other tenant who I did not know prior to moving in, and a kitchen/living room/backyard with all other tenants. It's an SRO, I think.

Yes, I have a lease, but it's about two sentences long (it just states I will pay rent for six months) and the landlord hand-wrote it.

There's been a revolving door of tenants but as far as I know there are six of us at the moment.
abh121

Postby abh121 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:20 pm

Can someone answer my questions, please?
abh121

Postby queensborough » Sun May 30, 2010 8:35 am

Sounds like something the building department needs to address. Also call 311 and file complaints to get the ball rolling for an inspection. Call every day if you have to. This situation sounds quite dangerous. Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are the law.

Never believe any promises a LL makes. They will say just about anything.
queensborough

Postby abh121 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:22 am

Thanks. I filed a report through 311. The LL did install smoke detectors this weekend, but didn't address any of the other problems.
abh121

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments