TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Lease is ending; I need another month

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Lease is ending; I need another month

Postby Glenn Quagmire » Thu May 27, 2010 1:32 pm

My lease ends May 31. I told my landlord I would not be renewing it sometime in March. I have since decided to buy an apartment but won't close until June 7. I asked the landlord about a month ago if I could stay an additional month; he'd already gotten new tenants but says he has tried calling them, etc., to see if they can push back their date, but they haven't replied.

Would I be creating too much grief for myself by just staying, saying "I can't leave until such-and-such date"? In the meantime I'm trying to find a sublet, so I'm weighing whatever retaliatory action my landlord (or the new tenants) could have against the cost of a month sublet and moving all my stuff into storage for 8 days, etc., then having to move it into the apt I've bought.
Glenn Quagmire

Postby TenantNet » Thu May 27, 2010 1:58 pm

Are you willing to pay the hotel, restaurant and storage bills for the new tenants while they wait for you?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Glenn Quagmire » Thu May 27, 2010 2:24 pm

They live with their parents.
Glenn Quagmire

Postby TenantNet » Thu May 27, 2010 2:28 pm

How does that matter?

Presuming that the new tenants have signed a lease and that you have given notice to the owner, don't they have a right to have access at the start of their lease term?

If your circumstances have changed, why shouldn't you be responsible for the consequences?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Glenn Quagmire » Thu May 27, 2010 2:58 pm

It matters because you mentioned storage and hotel bills, which they won't have. Are there more nebulous damages they can claim? That's what I'm weighing.

"Shouldn't you be responsible for the consequences?" and "don't they have a right to have access?" are more general questions that I'm not disputing.
Glenn Quagmire

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments