TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can landlord refuse a renewal after I accepted it?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Can landlord refuse a renewal after I accepted it?

Postby NYCAptRenter » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Hello, please help!

Several weeks ago my landlord offered to renew my lease. It had a large rent increase, so I countered with a lower price.

He did not accept, and countered with a price even higher than his first offer. He said "my initial offer was below market. The rent I am now requesting is X. If you are interested please set up an appointment to sign the lease." After some shopping, I decided to renew. I wrote a letter to the landlord which said I accept the offer at the higher price.

Now he is not willing to schedule a lease signing. I am worried he is trying to find another tenant. Knowing that I have accepted his offer:

1) Can he refuse to renew the lease?

2) If I find another apartment before he responds, how can I get out of my acceptance?

Thanks very much.
NYCAptRenter

Postby queensborough » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:35 am

Since you haven't signed anything, you would not be legally be bound by anything.
queensborough

Postby NYHawk » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:18 am

The OP wrote:
I wrote a letter to the landlord which said I accept the offer at the higher price.

queensborough wrote:

Since you haven't signed anything, you would not be legally be bound by anything.

The OP did sign something, "a letter"

That sounds like an acceptance of the LL's offer to me.
NYHawk

Re: Can landlord refuse a renewal after I accepted it?

Postby NYCAptRenter » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:16 am

Thanks. However, is the LL's letter an "offer" or just an "invitation to treat"?

His letter said: "The initial offer was below market. The rent I am now requesting is X. If you are interested please set up an appointment to sign the lease."
NYCAptRenter

Postby queensborough » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:43 pm

He wrote a letter accepting the offer, but has been refused an appointment to sign a new lease. If he had actually signed a lease, then both the LL and the tenant would be bound by that lease.

At this point, the LL could still refuse to renew the lease, and the tenant should be free to find another apartment. As far as I know, only the lease is the binding agreement.
queensborough

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments