TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

No rent owed for an illegally converted apartment?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

No rent owed for an illegally converted apartment?

Postby Ray Vincent » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:21 am

My landlord converted the one-family house in which I rent an apartment into a two-family house by turning the basement into a separate apartment. This violates the building's Certificate of Occupancy. A complaint to this effect was verified by New York City and the landlord served with papers mandating he fix the condition and pay various penalties; the violation appears on HPD's Web site. Does this illegal conversion deprive him of the right to demand rent?
Ray Vincent

Postby TenantNet » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:27 am

He might not be able to maintain a proceeding in Housing Court (but I don't know about Civil Court).

Are you sure a one-family house has a certificate of occupancy?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Ray Vincent » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:23 am

Yes, the Certificate of Occupancy is available for view online at the City's Web site. Would you have any sense of how this might impact his ability to evict me when the lease expires? (Thanks for taking the time to respond to this!)
Ray Vincent

Postby ronin » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:19 pm

If it is a non-regulated building with less than 6 apartments, I don't think there is anything that will stop him from evicting you when the lease expires.

Also, there is this problem- if the apartment you live in is an illegal basement apartment, you may get ordered to move by a court or agency on the grounds of safety. On the bright side, if your apartment is illegal he can't charge rent for the time it is illegal...
ronin

Postby TenantNet » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:53 pm

Ronin, do you know if the inability to maintain a proceeding for an illegal unit extends to plenary proceedings or actions in Civil or Supreme Ct.?

Even if the rent is not obtainable, the LL might be able to seek Use and Occupancy or "U&O" (a term of art for the same amount of money as the rent ... they just don't call it rent).
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Ray Vincent » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:01 am

Thank you both for responding. (My apartment is not the basement; sorry if I created the wrong impression.)
Ray Vincent

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments