TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

IN URGENT NEED OF HELP

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

IN URGENT NEED OF HELP

Postby madonthepkwy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:58 pm

I have lived in a crumbling brownstone with a slum lord for a landlord for over 15 years, moved into this place in 1995; it was originally rented to my mom, with my sister and I as her children, however my mom moved out of the premises in 2000, and my sister, my 2 minor children who I gave birth two while living there and myself took over the apt. We have never received a lease, we pay what is asked from the landlord which was $950 over the years it has went up to $1125 which is what it is currently. We have never recieved a paint job in the 15 yrs we have been there; I have taken the liberty of painting, and replacing tiles on kitchen floor as needed trying to spruce up an apartment that is obviously in need of repairs. On the 30 th of June I reporeted to the slum lord that the fridge/freezer was not working (mind you this is an old refurbished one that she put in about march 05') after coming upstairs (yeah, she lives on the said property) and finding the motor dead she basically told me "she has no money right now to buy me a fridge) I did not receive a fridge until the 11th of July (all this time my family and I are eating out of an igloo cooler; she states that because she brought me a new fridge she will tack on $25 more to the rent, I flat out disagreed as I told her it's her place to furnish a fridge and if I am to pay $25 for a fridge I could have went to Sears and gotten one on credit. On the 15th of July she sends a repair man (not a liscenced contractor) to take out the door and frames from my bedroom, my daughters bedroom,sons bedroom, and the living room as they were rotting out and needed to be replaced; this man made a mess; woodchips and debris all over floor, the wall in the hallway needed painting so the primer is all on the floor and carpets and dust is all over my furniture, today is now 14 day later and the work is nof finished, I have called her to ask her whats going on and she keeps telling me to bear with her as the repair man was suppose to come back to finish the job and keeps giving her the run around, mys on is asthmatic and the dust is making him and the rest of us sick. What can be done considering I dont have a lease? The con ed, gas, cable bill are all in my name and have been that way since 2000. Is there anything I can do to remedy the situation? Thanks
madonthepkwy

Postby queensborough » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:51 pm

Do you know if this is a rent stabilized apartment?
queensborough

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments