TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Duplicate Keys for my Roomate

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Duplicate Keys for my Roomate

Postby prifkind » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:40 pm

So...I recently moved into a new non-rent stabilized apartment. I am the only tenant listed on the lease; however, another individual was explicitly permitted to by my roomate.

The landlord only provided one set of keys. I purchased another set of keys, and deducted the cost of these Mult-i-lock keys from the rent.

The landlord recently sent me an invoice for the price of the keys. I argued that the keys were actually possessions of the landlord, and if anything he owed my money for the time I spent making the keys.

Is there any legal precedent for me not paying him for the keys (with the understanding that I would return both sets upon moving out)?

Thanks in Advance.
prifkind

Postby ronin » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:09 am

I thought you needed a card to make copies of Mult-i-lock keys. Where were you able to get copies of the keys? And how much did they cost?

As for charging the landlord for keys you purchased without his express permission, I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Using your logic you could purchase 10 more sets of keys as spares and deduct those from the rent, too.

In fact, the fact that you made copies without contacting him might justify him changing the lock when you leave and deducting it from your deposit. Particularly because these are special "no copy" keys.
ronin

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments