TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord Selling House

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord Selling House

Postby nydr » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:53 pm

I am a tenant in a two family house in Queens, NY. There are four tenants in the main section (each one occupies one room and one in the attic) and a separate tenant in a partitioned portion of the house. Kitchen, restroom and living room are shared. I have no written lease and have been paying my rent duly month to month. I have lived in the house for over two years.

The landlord has put the house up for sale. Once sold, does the landlord have to give me a notice to leave and if yes, what is the minimum notice period he has to give the tenants. Also, as an estimate, how long does it take for the house to be sold and the paper work to be completed (mortgage, loan etc.) before the new owner gets ownership/title.

Any additional information would be welcome. Any relevant Government office contact number would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
nydr

Postby TenantNet » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:33 pm

As a month-to-month tenant the LL must give you 30 day's notice. See the section on month-to-month tenants in the forum Reference section.

But given your description I wonder if the house is being rented legally. Is it a boarding house or has it been illegally divided beyond what zoning or the Certificate of Occupancy (if any) permit. If isn't that might preclude the LL from commencing a proceeding in Housing Court. If I remember the Queens Borough President had/has a task force on illegal conversion of homes.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Thank you

Postby nydr » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:00 pm

Thank you for the information.
nydr

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments