TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

evicting sub-tenant

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

evicting sub-tenant

Postby iamborednyc » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:41 am

I am leasing a townhouse for $30,000 per month. I sub-leased for 2 months while my family was away, with the lease expiring on Oct 31st.

The sub-tenant said he would be out by the end of October for sure, but now he has informed me that he is not leaving for November, and he will not commit to leaving in December.

So, my family of 6 has no place to go for the month of November now.

I want to evict him immediately on November 1st. From what I understand, and from the attorneys I have spoken with, I do not have to serve him any notice because it is a fixed term lease.

However, no one will give me a straight answer on how long the eviction process will take.

Is there any way to get an emergency order to expedite things? It is impossible to find a 5 bedroom+ furnished space in Manhattan within 2 days, so we will be at a hotel paying for 3-4 rooms, which will probably cost $60k per month.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
iamborednyc

Postby HAJ77 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:37 am

If you can afford that much $$$ you can afford a lawyer to answer your questions.
HAJ77

Answers

Postby dealing3000 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:11 pm

There are plenty of corporate apartments that are furnished. Why would you stay in a hotel?

There is no way to speed up the process. FYI, if the sub-tenant has good lawyers they most likely will be able to stay there for months dragging everything out in the courts. My advice would be to find a new place to live.
dealing3000

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments