TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

30 year tenant with no lease

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

30 year tenant with no lease

Postby lmgarcia27 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:14 pm

Yesterday my parents who are both over 65 received a letter stating that the house was bought by a new owner and that they have 30 dyas to vacate the apartment. We have been living there for over 30years and since we have been so long time residents, we had stopped signing leases. About a m onth ago we found out, not from our owner but by word of mouth that the house was being sold and even saw the lsiting for the house where it clearly specified tenants with no lease. The landlord never called us and when we try to reach him he always hung up on us. Now we have a new landlord who wants my parents out by the end of the month before the new year.(totally heartless) I know m onth to month tenants dont have much rights but considering the length of tenancy and my parents age and low income is there something we can do to ? Should we get a lawyer? How long will the judge give us? It would be very hard for my paernets to pay rent while looking for another place even if the judge allows them another couple of months. Please advise
lmgarcia27

Postby TenantNet » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:34 pm

You have a problem.

First, change your user name. NEVER EVER put your real email address on a public forum like this. Please learn how to use the net effectively and safely.

Unregulated tenants in month-to-month tenancies are supposed to get 30 days' notice, and it appears that's what happened. That you old LL has been a jerk is not surprising, but not the issue.

They will eventually get you out, but you can slow down the process. They can't force you out without a court order, and a tenant lawyer can negotiate a longer time. But prepare now and start looking.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments