TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

rent payment method: basis for conflict?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

rent payment method: basis for conflict?

Postby canadiana » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:48 pm

My landlord requests that personal checks be sent (via regular mail only) every month, to be received no later than the 8th of the month. He does not "allow" for checks to be dropped off in person, nor for post-dated checks to be sent in advance.

Last month, my check, which previously has always been sent on time, was lost in the mail. Of course, my landlor does not believe this and has no proof, so he has charged me a late fee.

In order to avoid this potential mishap again in the future, I would like to send him a batch of post-dated checks via certified mail, even though he has indicated in verbal exchanges that he does not want this as it "messes up his books." However, my lease only states that rent be paid via check at the start of each month, received no later than the 8th. The method of delivery is not indicated anywhere in the lease.

If I go ahead and send a batch of post-dated checks via certified mail, is there the potential that I could self-inflict some kind of legal repercussion? Am I within my legal rights to pay my rent via whatever delivery method I choose, if it is not explicitly stated in my lease?

Many thanks in advance. I've done a search on these forums and elsewhere but cannot seem to find an answer anywhere. I also hope to raise the question with the Metropolitan Council on Housing.

Cheers.
canadiana

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments