TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord reneged on lease breakage terms!

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord reneged on lease breakage terms!

Postby bigman525 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi all,

I recently broke a lease, and the landlord agreed to terminate with no penalty other than keeping that month's already paid rent. In a letter, he stated that the security deposit would be returned in full.

A month later, no check in hand yet, with us moved out, he sent a letter stating that he was not returning any of the security deposit because I broke the lease. Even though I have signed paperwork stating othewise. The amount of the security deposit is in excess of $10k (2 months rent).

I think he's playing a game... I can go to small claims, but then am capped at $5k or I can hire a lawyer (expensive). What are my real options here? I also found a rent security complaint form from the AG office, but not sure how effective that would be. Am I really going to have to get legal representation to get my money back?

Thanks!
bigman525

Postby TenantNet » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:14 pm

As you say, Small Claims is capped.

Try the Attorney General's office.

Also Civil Court is a possibility (lawyer recommended, but not required).

BTW, you registered two accounts to this board. We deleted the first account. See the Forum Rules.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Sorry!

Postby bigman525 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:17 pm

I thought I had another account but couldn't get into it. Will remember this one going forward...

Thanks for the advice. So, it seems like they're basically trying to screw me, knowing that i'm either capped on recovery or need to spend a lot of fees to get full recovery, huh?
bigman525

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments