TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

elevator replacement- what to do if disabled?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

elevator replacement- what to do if disabled?

Postby emma1975 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:50 pm

Hoping someone can help me out. We have been notified that our rental building will be replacing all 3 elevators, staggered in 9 week periods from may to September. They claim there will be "roof crossover when weather permits"
So in addition to the annoyance this will cause everyone, I am concerned about the elderly people and myself. I am disabled from an illness and while I do not need a wheelchair, I cannot make it up 5 flights of stairs without massive difficulty, and doing so often will make my illness unlivable/managable from the physical stress and very well could send me into a wheelchair. Even if this roof access works out getting down stairs and then up again to the roof doesnt help all that much. I have been looking for information but cant find much so I am wondering- is there any recourse? Is there any kind fo compensation to pay for delivery services, or relocation available? I can't stay in my apartment for 9 weeks straight especially with two children, and dont know what we will do. I certainly cannot afford a hotel.

On a less important note, they also say there will be stroller and cart storage in the basement, do we have the right to insist we are able to lock these things up safely or can the landlord just clear a room and leave it unsecure?

ANY help or advice is greatly appreciated- thanks so much!!!
emma1975

Postby TenantNet » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:27 pm

Do you have a tenant association? If not, time to start one. Also be prepared for a big MCI rent increase for any rent regulated tenants.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby emma1975 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:22 pm

We have no association...and I cant start one on my own, I woudnt even know where to start. If the city requires the building to replace is there still a MCI increase? Not sure if thats why but i cant imagine they are doing it out of kindness or responsibility. How much can rent go up? I feel liek this is a total disaster!!!
emma1975

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments