TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Automatic lease renewal - non-regulated rental

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Automatic lease renewal - non-regulated rental

Postby tenantupstate » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:57 am

My lease has a yearly automatic renewal clause - term ends 6-30-11. My landlord stated in email that he would renew the lease as long as I paid late fees that were owed and May's rent (we were to meet on 5-16 to sign the new lease). Payment was made for May's rent on 5-9 and the late fees were paid 5-13. During this time period the Landlord showed my apartment twice all the while telling me not to worry I had right to first renewal. On 5-9 I emailed him to inform him that I had discovered that I was the only person being charged late fees and mine was the sole apartment being showed even though there were other tenants up for renewal (I am the only person of color in the building). From that point forward he avoided me. After speaking with an attorney about my situation, I sent him a certified letter on 5-13 stating that I accepted the renewal and there was no need for him to meet with me. On 5-20 his attorney sent me a letter stating he was not renewing the lease and that I needed to be out of the apartment by 6-30. He has since accepted June's rent. (He already had a deposit for the last month's rent from the beginning of the lease). Can he evict me even with the automatic renewal clause and do I have cause for discrimination and retaliation if this goes to court?
tenantupstate

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments