TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Tried to change lease over to new name, now being forced out

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Tried to change lease over to new name, now being forced out

Postby lulogram » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:20 am

I moved into a 3 BR in Nov as a subletter (the management & landlord were aware of this and it was fine.) One of my roommates, A, has lived in this building since it opened 2 years ago. The other roommate is a subletter as well. Through a mistake on the part of a 3rd roommate who no longer lives here, A was never put on the lease for this unit. So now, our lease is up Aug 1st, and our landlord contacted us to ask if we wanted to renew/change the lease over to our names. We said yes, and he said that in order for him & I to have our names put on the lease we needed to submit all our income info and have a credit check done.

We expected no issues, but to our surprise, they contacted us and told us we need to find a guarantor. They require that we have, combined, at lease 3x the rent per month which ends up being $100K. We do have that, and my credit is excellent, but they told us that A's credit is "good but not good enough." I told A I could ask my parents, but he said that the mgmt wants the guarantor to have 100K in income and good credit...so they aren't allowing us to find a 3rd person to put on the lease, they want one person who can have the lease entirely in their name.

I don't understand this policy & it's very obvious that we are getting priced out of our apartment. I live on the border between Williamsburg & Bushwick and there are tons of rich kids moving in whose parents are willing to pay whatever exorbitant amount the rent will be. Our landlord even told us that some people offered them $200 more per month for our apartment! (Even though they haven't been showing it yet...)

I read the lease renewal tips on the site & I realize we might not be able to do anything since neither of us are on the lease now. However this whole situation seems really unfair to me so I just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions as to what we could do to stay. We've always been good tenants, (the landlord even told us he would rather have us stay than have new tenants move in,) and we always pay rent on time. To me, it makes no sense that A's credit is "not good enough." I think they're just saying that - isn't having a 2 year history with a tenant who has always paid on time enough to vouch for the fact that they will be reliable in paying rent??
lulogram

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments