TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Illegal Co-op Sublet

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Illegal Co-op Sublet

Postby Renter7 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:53 am

I recently signed a lease with a co-op shareholder, and while we stipulated in the lease that it is a shared living space, his presence will be very limited. I recently found out that the co-op has a rule that even for roommate situations, the owner has to be living there 80% of the time.

Prior to moving in, I had no clue about how co-ops worked, and am now nervous about being evicted. I have three questions:

- How much time do I have to leave if the board does file to evict me?
- Is there any chance that if my landlord goes to the board and requests to make this a legal sublet, they would oblige?
- What are my obligations to the landlord regarding the lease I signed if I am evicted before the end of the lease?

Thanks!
Renter7

Postby TenantNet » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:13 am

You appear to be mixing things up. There are roommates and then there are sublets. There are different rules for each. This is not a co-op board so we can't tell you much about co-ops, but the shareholder, as a "tenant" would have a right to a roommate, and they would -- under the sublet law -- have a right to sublet.

Evictions can happen within a month, or they can take years depending on the facts of the case and the litigation posture of the litigants.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments