TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

landlord harrasing us over boyfriend staying over

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Postby Emeraldstar » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi All
I agree with Concord re: having a copy of your lease with you just in case. I hopefully doubt the idot would go as far as to call the police. I can just hear the call to them now..........thease tenants are not abiding by my 3 night rules......sure :roll: that will motivate the cops.
Emeraldstar

Postby ctny » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:07 am

The BF stays over 3 nights per week right now. At what point can the LL claim he actually lives there as a 3rd tenant? Is it 4 nights? 5 nights?

If the apartment is not sub-metered, can the LL increase utility charges at claim there are more ppl living there now?
ctny

Postby Emeraldstar » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi All
I doubt it's a question of nights but more of mail and the type of such, and an increase in water bill/usage for an extended period of time, months or so. As for electric I suppose it's the same as water if the LL has the meter. And all of it would be a stretch. Beyond that I can't imagine what else? After all, the op has a right to guests, a bf, short term out of town visits, even helping a friend in need short term......a life so to speak.
Emeraldstar

Postby ronin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:12 am

I also think that from what you've told us you don't have anything that approaches legal harassment. Just a guy saying follow my rules or I'll evict you.

Being a pain in the butt is not the same as harassment. Just as Emeraldstar noted the LL's calling the police to complain about you not abiding the 3 night rule would be snickered at, so to would a complaint about the same rule.

Ultimately you really have to consider that your in a position where your girlfriend and her roommate could both be denied a renewal because you guys are resenting the rules so much. I'm sure the LL is picking up on your resentment even when you follow the rules. He lives there, so keep that in mind. If he gets bad vibes from you two every time he sees you, how likely is he to renew the lease?

To me it seems you are trying to fight a losing battle over a minor issue. It would be different if the guy had rented to your girlfriend saying "have a man stay with you every night!"

I'm not saying it's a fair position or a perfect one, but really, you are at the mercy of the lease renewal. A better use of energy is for you to find a better place for your girl to live (easier said than done- I know). The worse thing to do is fight tooth and nail over a losing position and then get the boot with no energy or resources left to find something new.

IMHO
ronin

Previous

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments